Canada Summer Jobs Funded Position – Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30 years
Position Type: TERM – Summer 16.00/hour 11 weeks 24 hours per week
Reports To: Program and Events Manager and Facility Operations Manager
This role will assist in the landscaping and maintenance of grounds of the Community Centre over the spring and summer months.
- Oversee the Community Garden, ensuring regular watering and care of the Centre’s beds, assisting community members when asked with their rental garden beds, sharing advice and information.
- Assisting the planning of a permanent Community Garden.
- Provide general grounds support (aside from regular provided landscape, mowing and weed maintenance)
- Planting and maintaining the ground beds.
Works with contract landscaping company to ensure the proper care and maintenance of the Community Centre grounds and gardens
Plans and weeds flower beds.
Plants and prunes shrubs, hedges and trees.
QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
Working knowledge of maintenance requirements of grounds and greenhouses. Ability to operate related grounds-keeping equipment.
Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12 education with some related experience.
Passion and interest in gardening and landscaping. Self-directed and strong initiative to improve and maintain gardens and grounds.
Impact to the Organization
This position is new to the organization and could provide much-needed landscape, grounds and garden care and upkeep for the Community Centre.
This role may positively affect the success of the permanent community garden by assisting in the current garden support and planning for the future.
- Minimum High School Diploma, Technical Diploma or a combination of education and experience
- Experience with gardens and plants
- Able to work independently and in a team environment, with minimal supervision
- Vulnerable Sector Check / Valid Class 5 Driver’s License & reliable vehicle / First Aid and CPR Level C Certification
General knowledge of general landscaping and gardening equipment, including lawnmowers, weed eaters, pruners, trimmers, fertilizer.
Physical Skills Aptitude
Physical ability to bend and lift up to 50 pounds, walk and stand and crouch for a majority of the work shift.
Able to work outside for long hours.
Clarity of vision Clarity of hearing
- Initiative “Initiative is the preference for identifying opportunities or issues, and taking action to enhance organizational results, without being prompted by others. Core Motivation: To identify and act on opportunities or issues”
- Judgement “natural ability to make thoughtful decisions in a timely and confident way. As employees, these people carefully consider alternatives and consequences when making choices, and assume responsibility for their actions”
- Decision making “making and taking responsibility for and demonstrating commitment to appropriate decisions in a timely manner. Ensuring that decisions are made based on policies, rules and organizational directives and solving the emerging problems”
To apply email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org